Tuesday, July 27, 2010

...The Lord is Close to the Brokenhearted- Get Help

This will be my last posting about dealing with the death of my dad for now. I have tons more I would like to deal with but for now I want to move on to other things and as the Lord prompts me too I'll share more about grieving.

Writing about my experience has actually brought some freedom to me and I didn't expect for that to happen. There must be something about the possibility of the whole world knowing about your darkest times that bring a sense of relief.

I remember going into a few stores (even the Christian Book Store) looking for a book on grieving and only found three books! Yet there was no lack of Self Help books about Cooking, Dieting, Biblical Study(not on death or grieving), Computers etc. One out of three of those books brought me straight to God's word for each step of grieving that I dealt with and it brought me great comfort with each chapter. I believe as a family, a community, a church and a nation we do not do enough to help people during their grieving process and I hope that in some way I can help someone else who may come across here and read this. If you are reading this and have dealt with (or avoided) grief please know that your're not alone, your not crazy and that you must talk to people about what you're going through. If you don't feel comfortable going to your pastor's, leaders, family or just don't have anyone you can trust around you then find a grief counselor available in your area. They are trained, most of the time experienced grief themselves and understand what you're going through. And if you are in a church don't feel guilty about going to a grief counselor outside of your church. I went to a grief counselor outside of our church and I felt guilty at first but I spoke to my pastor about it before going and he was absolutely okay with it. You don't have to go to your pastor first but I recommend it if you have a good relationship with them.
Also, grief is not just experienced in death. You can be grieving a divorce, a loss of friendship, loss of job etc.

God, your family, your pastor's and your leaders want you to get better and as long as you're in a safe environment to do so then you need to go. And if you want to, I would be happy to listen and let you cry but when it seems like no one is there to help, God is ALWAYS there. He's the ultimate Healer and Comforter and can do for you what no one else can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment